JMWho? Liverpool Sports Varsity set to kick off next week

Will Liverpool University retain their crown?

jmu liverpool liverpool university ljmu news sport uni of university of liverpool Varsity

The LJMU versus Liv Uni sports varsity begins next Monday (27th March), with a curtain raiser swimming event in the Liverpool sports hall at 7pm.The legendary rivals will face each other over three consecutive days in a variety of sports, as Liverpool University attempt to hold onto their winning streak.

Tuesday will see the netball and basketball teams take on their nemesis’ at Greenbank Academy at 6pm and 8pm respectively, while Wednesday is packed with matches from 1pm down at Liv Uni’s Wyncote sports grounds, including football, hockey, lacrosse and rugby.  Inside sources at Sport Liverpool have tipped the 4pm American Football match to be the must-see event of the week, as the Liverpool Raptors face the LJMU Fury team in battle.

Deputy President of the Guild Oba Akinwale, who’s been focusing on getting more students involved in supporting Varsity, told The Tab: “Varsity is truly my favourite event of the year – not much better than a few beers up at Wyncote and watching us beat JMU. Again.

“I’m really happy to be part of seeing Varsity grow in this city year on year and this one is set to be the biggest yet!”

The swimming and all events on Wednesday are free entry. Tickets for the netball and basketball matches are £5, and include a t-shirt, hot-dog, popcorn and candy floss.

There will be a free bus service provided by LiverpoolSU running on the Wednesday. Buses will leave from Liverpool Guild of Students every half an hour between 12pm and 4pm.

A full list of all the events across Liverpool on Wednesday can be found below:

COME ON UNI OF