Your guide to day drinking in Liverpool on Paddy’s Day

The national sport of Ireland

Looking for the craic this St Paddy’s Day? Look no further – there’s no better place than Liverpool to get in a round of Guinness before sunset. No matter the budget, we’ve got just the spots to celebrate your distant Irish roots in an all out, green glitter, double vodka, cultural appropriating concert square massacre this Friday. For evening-based events check our ultimate guide here.

Sphinx Bar

Close to home and very affordable. The Sphinx serves as a key starting point for any St Patrick’s Day pub crawl this year. They’re offering a pint of Guinness with a Full Irish breakfast from 9am.

McCooleys

You couldn’t get more Irish if you tried. It’s free entry all day before 10pm and they’ll be hosting live music from dawn till dusk with £8 Irish Fry and Guinness before midday – so line your stomachs!

chin chin

SOHO

What could possibly be more Irish than Shisha in the sunshine? Soak in Concert Square and get involved with the drink deals before 6pm. £10 pitcher of Carling? Count me in ma’ old sham!

Kazimier Garden

Tucked away in Wolstenholme Square, if you haven’t yet visited this hipster’s paradise, there’s no better place to pre-pre drink than here. Often known to host fantastic music well into the evening, the Kasimier Garden’s doors are open 11am-10pm so pull up a pew and have a pint!

I’m a sponsor – can I get a free pint? Pleeeaaasseee

Brookhouse Garden

Home is where the beer is, and fortunately for Smithdown residents you couldn’t get closer to home than old reliable – The Brookie. Social smoke to your hearts content and watch the angry cabbies zoom on by as they try to cope with the sudden influx in poorly freshers that need swift rides home at 3pm after one too many Jaegerbombs.

Botanical garden

Simply a must for any gin lover. Open 12-late and simply great for a nice drink with the girls.

The Pumphouse

Scenically situated on the docks of Liverpool, with reasonably priced bevs, the Pumphouse is simply the best in the sun. Embrace your inner northerner and brave the wind in exchange for the view of our city.

Kicking back and enjoying the view

Free State kitchen

Free state kitchen is a diamond in the rough (in the sense that it’s hidden behind JMU). A simply a secret beer garden and great burgers. A must, especially if you sipped breakfast and need to load up on carbs.

In the street

Failing all this, tinnies and Smithdown will do. Let’s paint the town green!