Lime Street Station is out of service until Monday

A wall has collapsed

Yesterday, at around 5.30pm, falling rubble from a wall off Smithdown Lane brought down overhead power lines between Lime Street and Edge Hill. All train services to and from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester, Warrington, Wigan and London Euston are currently suspended.

The cause of the collapse is currently unknown. The city centre busy commuter station may not re-open until Monday 6th March.

Some passengers were stuck on trains for more than three hours. Fire and ambulance crews had to attend Edge Hill station to help evacuate passengers down the tracks.

Passengers are now being advised to take other routes, such as via Liverpool South Parkway Station, Merseyrail said there will be additional buses into the city centre from South Parkway to help with the increased amount of commuters. Liverpool Central station is also still functioning.

The latest update from Network Rail is as follows:

“No trains are running in or out of Liverpool Lime Street station after a section of trackside wall, loaded with concrete and cabins by a third party, collapsed sending rubble across all four lines and taking overhead wires with it.

“Early indications suggest train services will not resume for several days while extensive clear-up and repairs take place to make the location safe. More precise forecasts on how long the repairs will take will be made after daybreak.”

The advice is quite stark from Northern Rail – do not travel “in the Liverpool or Merseyside region”.

James, third year Politics student said:

I don’t have time for this. I have enough stresses in my life like dissertations and which ex is next on ex on the beach. My heart goes out to all the people fixing the problems. Please get them sorted soon – I beg!”