Reports of Kensington being closed off by police during Storm Doris

Liverpool Twitter has gone off

doris liverpool. storm doris weather wind

Liverpool has woken up to Storm Doris causing chaos across Merseyside.

The storm, which was upgraded to a “weather bomb” by the Met Office last night, has seen gusts of wind up to 80mph rushing through the city. Reports from the Echo suggest that the Kensington area is reportedly closed off, possibly due to a fallen tree, with police in attendance and traffic being diverted onto Edge Lane.

Roads have been closed in the city centre, including Berry Street, Water Street and The Strand and scaffolding has been falling off the Bombed Out Church. Mersey Ferries aren’t running.

The Port of Liverpool has been closed for the day, as has Chester Zoo, and the Pierhead and the Albert Dock are looking like no-go zones as big waves and high winds have made riverside conditions treacherous.

kyle style storm weather rain

Coronation Street filming has been called off due to the weather and Liverpool Council are advising people not to visit the city parks such as Sefton Park and Stanley Park. Don’t worry though: the LFC squad are still training.

Politics classes at the university have been affected, with an email being sent to Politics students stating that “there are various members of staff stuck on roads and railways this morning” causing “a few classes” not to run. The email also suggested that some students “will be stuck also as the conditions are really terrible”, and asked that students “try to stay warm and dry. And above all, try to stay safe.”

Third year Nicki Gwyer has sent in photos of her garden on Langdale Road, Wavertree. Her back wall has collapsed from the high winds:

Housemate Katherine Nixon, a 3rd year History student, said “My Thursday morning was filled with excitement as I watched the back half of our house crumble before my eyes.”

Twitter has been buzzing with comments on Doris, from photos of classic fallen trees to people laughing at the mania that has gripped the city. Here’s a round up of the best tweets coming from the eye of the storm:

TERRYIFING: 

Why buy a £10 t-shirt when you can go to CARNAGE for free in town?

The library has got involved, as always:

Does this mean it won’t go out tonight?

Why are these people so funny.

Fuckin’ Remainers:

Who called for a legend?

Slut shame that storm, bitch:

The Echo writes about rEaL nEwS:

That surname though

Obligatory dog spot (How is this her life?)

Death by Storm

How does this even happen?

Photoshop QUEEN

When you just give up:

We wish we were you, John.