Burnt out Smithdown van connected to Wavertree shooting

A handgun was retrieved by Police

area crime liverpool police shooting smithdown student Wavertree

A handgun has been discovered in the burnt out Renault van that was set on fire between Brookdale Road and Ferndale Road on Wednesday evening.

Police have connected the gun to the shooting of 26-year old Aaron Lewis and his 19-year old friend which took place on the same night on Grosvenor Road, Wavertree at around 7pm.

Detectives have revealed that Aaron’s 19-year old friend was shot first, outside Anna Jungs chippy before the gunman turned to Aaron Lewis, shooting him three times as he walked out onto the street. The 19 year old turned up at hospital just 40 minutes after the attack, but Aaron Lewis was killed at the scene.

The van was seen burning on Wednesday night

Last night, Mr Lewis’ family paid tribute to the victim, telling the Echo: “Last night my oldest son was shot dead. It has broken my family’s heart; we loved him from the very first day he was born.

“We do not want revenge because that would mean meaningless loss of another life. We will leave it in the hands of the police who gave us great support and for that we want to thank them dearly.

“Let the law take its course. We want justice. No more gun death.”

Crimestoppers have announced a campaign to crack down on  gun violence, after the shooting on Wednesday marked the 75 shooting in the Merseyside area since January 2016.

Yesterday saw a large police presence perform random stop and searches on cars in front of the Smithdown Road Graveyard, asking road users if they had any information on gun crime in the area.

Anyone with information about the murders of Aaron Lewis, or gun crime generally, can call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.