BREAKING UPDATES: There has been a shooting in Wavertree

It happened around 7pm

Police swarmed Wavertree last night after reports of a shooting. There are no reports that it is linked to last night’s van explosion.

Merseyside Police have now confirmed the 26-year-old man has died.

Original report:

Emergency services were called to Anna Jung’s Chippy on Grosvenor Road, by the junction of Bishopgate Street, at around 7pm on Wednesday night. The area is now cordoned off.

An onlooker told the Echo that police got to the scene at around 7:15pm to see someone “lying in the street.”

A resident told the Echo that an ambulance “kept the boy alive while police and ambulance came after hearing the gunshots”. She continued, “he had about 9 shots in him and I held my hands with pressure over the wound while another girl pumped chest”.

A shopkeeper in the area said he “heard a few bangs at about 7pm. I thought it was fireworks but looked on CCTV & camera pointing down alleyway showed a woman immediately turn around & rush back.”

He added that he “went outside and saw a guy on the floor’ didn’t want to get too close although ‘they stood him up and he seemed to be moving”.

Crimestoppers is urging anyone who has information on the location of guns and those responsible for storing, supplying and firing them to contact them.