Police found a bag of guns on Jamaica Street this morning

They recovered a bag of replica firearms

baltic baltic triangle crime gun guns Liv liverpool Merseyside police university

Armed police were called to Jamaica Street in the Baltic Triangle  at around 7.35am this morning, after a bag filled with guns was left lying in the street.

Although the guns were found to be replicas, Merseyside Police confirmed that a 43 year old man had been arrested in relation to the incident on suspicion of criminal damage and theft from a motor vehicle. After further enquiries he was re-arrested for possession of an imitation firearm. He has been taken into custody for questioning.

screen-shot-2016-11-25-at-14-19-26

The police were alerted to the scene following reports of a disturbance and concerns for the safety of a man. Eyewitnesses saw a bag of firearms lying beside a car with a smashed window.

Jamaica Street is the home of both Camp&Furnace and the Baltic Social.

A police spokesperson told the Echo: “An investigation is ongoing. Is it believed that the replica firearms had been removed from a vehicle which was parked nearby.

“The owner of the weapons has voluntarily surrendered them to Merseyside Police for destruction.”