You have three days left to stand as a NUS delegate for Liverpool

What happens if someone who hates the NUS gets in?

conference delegate guild LGOS liv uni liverpool university national union of students nus

The nominations period for students hoping to become NUS conference delegates closes this Friday at 2pm, meaning you only have 3 days left to nominate yourself to be one of 20 students representing Liverpool at the NUS conferences next year.

Seven delegates need to be voted in to attend the NUS national conference in April, along with a delegate for the International Student’s Conference in March and a delegate for the Postgraduate’s Conference in May. Once the submissions for student delegates are in, voting will take place between the 5th and 9th of December.

Voting for delegates for the Black Student’s Conference, the Trans Conference delegate, the LGBT+ Conference, the Women’s Conference  and the Disabled Student’s Conference will take place in a closed room and will not be across campus ballots. Nominations for these positions also close on Friday.

Of the seven places available to fill at National Conference, one is reserved for Guild President Sean Turner and three seats must be filled by ‘those who self-define as a woman or have a gender identity that includes woman’.

Recent controversies this year have seen a number of university guilds disaffiliate with the NUS, after calls for them to better represent all students were raised following a series of statements which some suggested were anti-semitic by the President Malia Bouattia. Three Vice-Presidents and the Scottish NUS President even signed a letter in late summer, arguing that the “NUS leadership” created an environment where, “Jewish students have not felt safe participating in our national movement, because of the actions and rhetoric of leadership of NUS”. No such disaffiliation campaigns strongly took hold in Liverpool.

On the Liverpool Guild website, it states that: “We elect students to attend all of these conferences and represent the view of Students at the University of Liverpool at a national level. Full training and support will be given to delegates, as well as the opportunity to feedback to us about your experience at conference, and how we can apply what you’ve learned.”

For full information and to apply, visit the Guild website here.