Not liking chart music doesn’t make you special

We know you think you’re edgier than the rest of us

chart liverpool music nights out stop hating

We all know that person who avoids Black Rabbit, LEVEL and Soho like the plague, instead spending weekends in The Jacaranda or any of the slightly overpriced bars on Mathew Street.

Music is often at the centre of any social event, whether that be a night out in the club, pre-drinks at a friends house with the speakers on full or background noise in a pub. But from this music centric night life of the millennial age, a new breed of irritating people has been born; the music snobs.

You meet a fit lad at a bar or maybe a girl on your course and they ask what type of music you listen to. You enthusiastically reply “ah, mostly chart stuff you know” because that is literally what you enjoy the most. Then you realise its too late. Their face twists into some sort of uninterested, disappointed expression and they question whether you get bored of it. Sorry? What mate?

so indi3

Those who heavily avoid chart music and can be found dancing around their room to alternative types – of course being played on a Crosby record player – seem to have started looking down upon those who fucking love the latest tunes in the charts. What’s wrong with a bit of Calvin Harris or Drake?

listening to some cool vibes

We seem to have developed an obsession with being individual and unique, which is fine, but if you enjoy something you don’t need to avoid it just because its popular. All of us get sick of hearing the same tunes being played on repeat in Level near the end of the term, but if your best moves happen to go with chart songs, you gotta go with it. Acid-house-techno might get your blood pumping, but for some people the same vibe comes from listening to a little bit of Drake.

Yes, you, sitting in the corner of The Cavern Club, you are cool. We applaud your individual music taste, its actually pretty good at times and the shit load of passion you show for it is admirable. As long as you appreciate what we’re loving is just as good: that boppin’ along to The Chainsmokers is as acceptable as banging your head to The Cult or the The Clash . It gets our party moods going and makes us want to dance just as much as Bon Jovi or Pink Floyd makes you want to.

Everyone has a different taste in music: broadcasting how much you hate one category seems to just proves how insecure and uncertain you are of your own music preferences. Stop hating on chart music just because you’re terrified you’re own music choices might seen uncool to others.

Also, hating Justin Bieber will never be original.