The Guild is hosting a ‘blackout’ to tackle environmental issues

They’re inviting students to a candlelit evening of acoustic music, food and fun.

On the 24th November, the Guild are turning off all the lights in celebration of doing fun activities without electricity. To support the already very successful Student Switch Off campaign, they will be hosting acoustic musicians and a society showcase among other fun filled activities.

Last year the organisation saved a massive 98 tonnes of CO2 by through their work in University of Liverpool halls of residence, the winning halls being Carnatic, who saved a total of 41.03 tonnes of CO2 of the academic year- that’s the equivalent of 456 return flights from Liverpool to London.

Lucy, a third year History and Politics student said: “I think its really great that the Guild are hosting this, climate change is a real issue yet still there are so many skeptics about. I hope it encourages more people to start thinking about their energy use.”

Shaun, a second year Geographer agrees: “Yeah definitely. It’ll also be a good chance for everyone to get off their phones and enjoy each others company for once.”

Entry is free for the event which starts at 5pm and ends at 7pm in the Courtyard, and food will be available to purchase at the Sphinx.

Credit: Guild website