I can dress how I want on Halloween, and you can’t call me a slut for it

tips

looks  • 

‘Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.’

The witching hour is nigh, Halloween is almost here. The costumes are coming out, the Kenny house parties are revving up and the first signs of slut shaming are already surfacing. Slut shaming is the criticism of a woman for her presumed sexual activity inferred from her behaviour or choice of clothing. It’s also extremely misogynistic and derogatory.

Halloween is an exciting night, especially for students. You can dress up as whatever you want, head to Level and have a wild night. The trouble comes when you overhear your flatmates muttering, or some yob on Bold Street yelling “look at how slutty these girls are dressed,” “phwoooar, bet she’s mental in bed,” or “that girl’s tits were basically out!”

Because really, no matter how creative the costume it’s never going to be about the outfit, it’s always about whatever part of your skin you’ve dared to show. Because skin is so fucking offensive isn’t it? Basically, anything less than a cotton sheet as a shit ghost isn’t acceptable, so cover your ankles girls!

Looking online for outfits that aren’t skimpy proves somewhat hard, unless you visit the Halloween section on Smithdown Asda – go as an oversized child zombie or a plasticky witch, at least you won’t look like a slut right? No. You get slagged off if your costume is prudish, and called a slut if you go for something more adventurous.

Do you see a theme?

Whether you’re going out to pull or just for the spooky sesh, you’re entitled to look as hot as you want. If an outfit looks good and shows off your body, who cares!? Females are allowed to look amazing and feel comfortable in their own skin without being judged. If anything ‘promiscuous’ outfits should be celebrated as an act of confidence, fun and self love! And since when has it been okay to infer anything from a Halloween costume? That lad is dressed like spiderman, he must swing both ways. That legend’s wearing a wolverine costume, must be a beast in bed. What about the hottie in the zombie costume? Bet he’s into biting.

What’s even the point of it? Maybe some girls are insecure about their bodies and don’t have the courage to flaunt what mama gave them, or it’s against their morals – which is fine, but don’t impose your beliefs on other people. Don’t put other people down to feel better about yourself. Guys may slut shame because they are intimidated by the sheer confidence of women parading around on Halloween in very little clothing. Or because they’ve grown up thinking when a woman dresses a certain way she’s doing it for his attention.

Whatever the reason, even if its the difference in cultural norms, shaming someone for being body confident is never acceptable.

This Halloween, before you comment negatively on someones outfit think about the time, effort, money and creativity that went into designing that as well as the confidence it took to wear it out.

Now celebrate your bodies, cover yourself in fake blood and head to Concert Square!

@pvnkroses