An elderly man died after he collapsed at the Guild on Saturday

He isn’t said to have connections to the university

guild incident Sphinx bar

The Guild of Students has been closed all weekend due to an incident on Saturday involving an elderly man in the Sphinx bar. The Guild have confirmed paramedics were called to the scene.

The police have confirmed that a man in his 80s was taken to hospital after collapsing in the Sphinx bar after requesting a glass of water. When asked if the man was a lecturer, the police said that it is not confirmed that the man had connections with the university, but it is possible he was walking past and just went in for water.

They continued to state that the incident was a “medical episode” and is not being treated as suspicious. The ambulance took him to The Royal Liverpool University Hospital where it is believed he died at around 6:40pm. His next of kin have been informed.

A Guild spokesperson said: “We can confirm that at approximately 6.25pm on Saturday, 7 October paramedics were called to attend the Guild of Students after a member of the public became unwell.

“Paramedics attended and took the man to hospital for treatment.”

North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) confirmed they were contacted at 5.45pm and that the man was an elderly gentleman.