CCTV footage released of rapist who attacked girl during freshers week

The ordeal was reconstructed for crimewatch

The UoL student, who targeted in the Wirral during freshers week last year, re-told her story of being attacked after new CCTV footage has been released to find the attacker.

Her attack was reconstructed on the BBC’s Crimewatch on the 26th of September in order for the police to help find the man.

Watch the footage below from around the 27:07 minute mark.

The 18-year-old had taken a taxi back to Birkenhead with a friend at 5:30am after a night out in town on Monday 28th September 2016, when another man got into the taxi.

The victim’s friend got out of the taxi on Whetstone Lane but the man stayed in the car.

She said in a statement read out by an actor on Crimewatch, “This person was touching my leg and stuff and I was sort of shying him off, moving off to the side and this person was trying to kiss me and I was like ‘no’.”

She and the man then got out the taxi to use a cash machine on Borough Road, and after walking a short distance, she was led into an alley and sexually assaulted. In the video footage you can then see the man running away from the alley, possibly appearing to be pulling or holding his trousers up.

Describing the horrific attack, the girl said, “I just remember, when it was happening, he was grabbing my mouth, telling me to be quiet. He held me down and it was kind of like when get to the point where you give up trying to fight because you know there’s no point, it’s going to happen anyway.”

She encouraged students to take care on nights out.

CCTV footage released in the latest appeal shows images of a man in a taxi that investigators would like to find as they think he could help with their investigation.

Footage also includes a man seen with the victim on CCTV walking down Borough Road and down Prenton Road West, opposite Tranmere Rovers’ ground. The pair reached the junction of Woodchurch Lane at 5:50am, and can then be seen on CCTV going onto Prenton Park Road.

Anyone with information is asked to call the investigation team on 0151 777 1382 or share information anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.