Arrest made in fresher’s week rape investigation

A 32 year old man has been arrested

crime investigation liv uni liverpool Merseyside new rape student university of liverpool

A man has been arrested in regards to an attack on a University of Liverpool student during last year’s fresher’s week.

The 18-year-old UoL student had taken a taxi back to Birkenhead with a friend at 5:30am after a night out in town on Monday 28th September 2015, when another man got into the taxi. After leaving the taxi, the man took the victim down an alley where he sexually assaulted her.

CCTV footage released showed images of a man in a taxi that investigators wanted to find to help with their investigation. The CCTV footage was released earlier this week and was shown on BBC’s ‘Crimewatch’ on Monday night. Since then it has been confirmed that a 32-year-old man has been taken into custody and is due to be questioned by detectives.

This morning, a spokesman said:

“Merseyside Police can confirm that they have arrested a 32-year-old man in relation to the rape of an 18-year-old woman on 28 September 2015 in Borough Road, Wirral that featured on this week’s Crimewatch programme. The man is in custody on Merseyside and will be questioned by detectives.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the investigation team on 0151 777 1382 or share information anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.