Wavertree woman forced to fight off attacker in attempted rape

Merseyside Police have stepped up patrols over the bank holiday weekend

crime Merseyside news police rape smith down Wavertree

A woman fought off an attacked who attempted to rape her as she was letting herself into her own home in Wavertree this Saturday, prompting Merseyside Police to step up patrols in the area over the bank holiday weekend.

The attack happened in the Smithdown area popular with students for their second and third year homes.

The victim, who phoned the police at around 11:10pm to report what had happened, said there had been ‘struggle’ after the man had pushed her through her own front door when she was letting herself in after work. The man then left on foot, heading towards Lawrence Road.

The man is described as tanned, possibly Asian or Eastern European, in his 20s and of medium build. The victim said he had short dark hair and was wearing a large, dark-coloured coat.

The police are appealing for anyone with information or CCTV footage which could help the investigation to come forward.

A Merseyside spokesperson said: “Detectives are carrying out extensive enquiries in the area to see if anyone witnessed anything suspicious or if there is any CCTV footage that could help the investigation.

“Specialist detectives from the force’s Unity team are looking after the victim and providing her with the care and support she needs at this time.

“Extra high-visibility patrols will be in the area over the Bank Holiday to provide reassurance.”

Anyone who was in or around Liscard Road at the time, or has any other information that could help the investigation, should call the Unity team on 0151 777 1382 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.