Safari Waterpark Tour UK Facebook events mysteriously vanish

That’s summer ruined, then

liverpool scam university of liverpool

Amid all the rumours and council warnings that the events could be a scam, the numerous Safari Waterpark Tour events have mysteriously vanished.

Safari Waterpark Tour UK events on Facebook, which were apparently going to happen at university cities across the UK, have disappeared after warnings that they could be scams to take people’s personal details surfaced across the country.

Set up by a user named Safari WaterPark, the Facebook events promised water rides and slides, water coasters, rapids, flumes, a mini beach, a splash zone, bumper boats and more. The events saw mass interest, with around 20,000 Facebook users expressing interest in the Liverpool event and 4,000 clicking the attend button.

However,  the events suddenly vanished from Facebook after Liverpool and Manchester councils warned that the waterparks could be a scam, given that at both locations no applications to host the event had been received.

What happens when you try to access the pages

This ‘UK tour’ event mimics previous Facebook ‘tours’ seen last year such as Total Wipeout UK tour, Massive waterfight events and pages which suggested that students could persuade the BBC to bring Radio 1’s Big Weekend to their city by attending the event. These events were all traced back to one company by The Tab, and all had sign-up links which asked for personal information.

On the Safari Waterpark UK Tour event pages, though,  it stated that “Please note we do NOT request any data information, once we have licensing permission from the councils in every city, locations and exact dates will be disclosed.”

A selection of the locations said to be holding the events

Liverpool City Council commented that: “We have not received any application for a license or planning applications from this event.”

Councillor Karney, from Manchester City Council, told the Manchester Evening News that: “It could be legitimate but it also could be a scam, like last year. If it’s just messing people around they need to stop with this juvenile behaviour.”

The pictures of used to promote the event seemed to have been taken from the website of a Canadian Slide manufacturer, ProSlide Technology and from an adventure water park in Nevada, USA.

When The Tab tried to contact the user ‘Safari Waterpark Tour’ about the event,  we received no reply.