You could buy a shop on Smithdown for £1

But not if you want to open another takeaway

council ideas independent independent shops Liverpool Council shops Smithdown Road

Liverpool City Council are offering 12 empty units on Smithdown Road for £1 a week over three years as part of a ‘grassroots regeneration’ of the area.

Following the success of of the £1 home scheme, Liverpool City Council are now seeking contributions of original ideas with full business and financial plans that aren’t too similar to existing Smithdown Road businesses – so no new dollhouse emporiums or aquariums yet.

If your idea is savvy enough, your dream could come true for only £1.

This could all be yours

Preference will be given to those with the best chance of long-term success and sustainability.

The council will not accept offers of betting shops, fast food takeaways, tanning salons, off licenses, pubs and pay day loan companies. They have stated ‘any proposals that are contrary to the aim of creating a healthy and sustainable local community will be rejected.’

After the three year period business is expected to carry on, with the company able negotiate specific terms.

English and Communications finalist Cydney thinks the scheme is brilliant: “It’s a great scheme to introduce rejuvenation into the area. It will provide people with platform to set up their business, especially those who might not have the capital to do so otherwise.

“We all know Liverpool’s independents are one of the major characteristics of this beautiful city so this can only generate positivity.”

Applications are open until Monday 9 May with further stages beginning in June, you can express your interest here.