Fresher has £300 stolen from Carnatic over Christmas

She had been saving up for Glastonbury

Over the weekend, Becky and her friends returned to Lady Mountford in Carnatic halls to find their rooms had been unlocked and things had been moved.

“Most of us got back on Saturday and some peoples doors were unlocked when they had definitely locked them – reception clarified all doors were locked – so that was weird.

“Some of our things had also been moved in our rooms. Some things had been moved in my wardrobe and off my shelf but nothing was gone.

“But my flatmate Chloe got back last night and straight away realised somebody had been in her room because the curtain was closed when she had left it open slightly.”

As if this wasn’t bad enough, someone had stolen from Chloe.

“She checked her drawers because she had left £300 saved for glasto in a little box hidden beneath her papers in her drawer. She thought it would be safe as obviously nobody is meant to go in rooms or have keys and she left it all locked up, but it was gone.

“I don’t feel safe living there any more. Weeks before Christmas police came and were questioning us – apparently somebody had got into the block then too but they wouldn’t tell us anything.”

This isn’t the first time that Carnatic’s security has been breached, as there were two separate intrusions in Rankin and Salisbury halls last year.

A university spokesperson told The Tab, “We can confirm an investigation has been undertaken following an allegation of theft at Lady Mountford Hall. The University takes reports of this nature very seriously. All our halls of residence have a 24 hour security presence.”