Liverpool is the first city to open fast paced walking lanes

About time

Britain’s first ever fast pedestrian lane has been opened on St John’s Street.

The development has come after research suggested that 47 per cent of the nation said slow walking was the most annoying part of high-street shopping.

The idea of fast walking lanes is most popular among younger people, with 69 per cent of 16 to 24-year-olds in favour, whilst only 37 per cent of over-55s supported the plan.

The new fast lanes will allow pedestrians to breeze through crowds at a quicker pace across the three-story Liverpool One shopping centre, just in time for Christmas.

The plans come as a result of the research conducted by Argos, that suggests shoppers are frustrated by walking behind slower paced walkers.

Fast paced lanes now allow shoppers speed across the town centre, making Liverpool the first city in the country to have fast walking lanes.

The research by Argos also revealed that shoppers hated people chatting in the middle of the street, pavement hoggers and having to deal with large crowds.

Second year Business Student Eloise is delighted with the new scheme, she told The Tab: “Fast pace walking lanes would be so ideal, I can’t stand walking behind people who are slow when you’re trying to rush through town.

“It’s busy enough as it is, no need to be held up by slow walkers, or even worse more than one slow walker linking arms taking up the whole pavement.”