Merseyside Police join in with rape jokes on Twitter

They have tweeted a formal apology

The Merseyside Police Twitter account posted a football related rape joke this weekend. 

With reference to the Everton – Sunderland game, a user tweeted the @MerseyPolice account saying: “Hello, I’d like to report an incident of rape that occurred at Goodison Park, Liverpool on November 1st at 3:00.”

On Sunday afternoon the police account replied: “Just to confirm there was no actual rape for me? Sunderland certainly got caught with their pants down though.”

After confirming it wasn’t a legitimate report, the police condoned the joke with “Thanks for clearing that up! great performance by all accounts, I’ve been too busy to watch though.”

This continued as another user tweeted them with: “I’d like to report an incident that’s been going on for ages. Chelsea get raped every match, can you help?”, which the police responded to with “Afraid not, it’s not a criminal offence to lose week in week out.”

The tweets have since been deleted, replaced by an apology: “We would like to apologise for any offence caused by inappropriate tweets from the force account this afternoon.

“They do not reflect the strenuous efforts made by Merseyside Police to investigate serious sexual crimes and protect victims.

“A full investigation has been launched into the inappropriate use of the Merseyside Police Twitter account.”