17 takeaways on Smithdown received a hygiene rating of 1* or less

Will anyone stop eating Chester’s though?

Horror isn’t just for Halloween

The Food Standards Agency has released the hygiene rating of takeaways, restaurants and shops across Liverpool. A painful 21 food places down Smithdown have recieved a 2* rating or below.

Amongst those named and shamed are student favourites The Nile, Chicksters, Dixy Chicken, Bumper Chicken, Chester’s and Flavours, who all received a horrifying hygiene score of 1*.

Dixy Chicken recieved a 1* hygiene score

Late Night corner shop and Uncle Moa’s restaurant share the crown for a shameful 0* hygiene rating.

The Food Standards Agency inspects each business by looking at three categories:

• How hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored.
  • The condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities.
  • How the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe.

The ultimate kryptonite for all Liverpool students

The business is then given one of six ratings, ranging from 0-5, 0 being the lowest.

Second year psychology student Niamh McGrattan said: “It’s pretty horrifying that so many scored so low, especially Dixy and Chester’s.”

All the way at the other end of the spectrum is the guild, which holds a 5* hygiene score.