Lessons you’ll learn as a fresher in Liverpool, from a scouser

It won’t be from your required reading

Let’s face it – the most crucial things you’ll learn in the first weeks of uni will be outside the lecture halls. The lessons you’ll learn from Liverpool in freshers’ week and first year will last your entire uni life.

The stereotypes are wrong

Liverpool is not full of all those working class stereotypes your Ol’ Uncle Peter has told you about, and to your surprise you’ll find that parked cars still have all four wheels attached to them. In fact, you’re just as likely to be mugged in this city as you are in the Home Counties, darling. You’ll find Liverpool is one of the most exciting, vibrant, interesting cities to live in. You’ll never be short of something new to try. Well done newbie, you’ve chosen well.

12168160_10153646339882836_1954597411_n

Monday nights are most definitely a thing

You’ll find weekdays in Liverpool are probably just as busy as your Saturday nights back home. However, whether your Monday night takes you to the classic beats of Brooklyn Mixer or the more iconic, fat-frog fuelled (and equally shamed filled) Raz night, you’ll find that 9am start on Tuesday morning will start to seem less and less likely. Joe Hughes, a second year studying  Medicinal Chemistry from Liverpool told us, “I love The Raz because the cheap drinks mean you can get trashed with minimal expense, and along with classic tracks like ‘Come on Eileen,’ how can you not have an amazing time?”
Those early starts of a Tuesday morning will be few and far between. And on Wednesday. And Thursday… well, you get the picture.

12086957_10153631116427836_1893468527_n

Razzing it up bby

Taxis are your lifeline on a night out

By the end of the year you’ll be able to regurgitate taxi service numbers just as easily as counting to ten. Somewhat more crucially than getting you to your final destination, you’ll also find taxi drivers offer a first hand glimpse into iconic Liverpool culture. Sinead Buckenham, a Fresher studying Veterinary Science from Swindon stated, “compared to back home, the prices of taxi’s have been surprisingly cheap considering I’m now living in a big city. I’m also impressed with how accessible they are, I’ve never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes to get one.”

Once past the Liverpool language barrier you’ll find most of them to be pretty friendly. Top tip: you’re more likely to jump a cab by picking one up from Chinatown.
12170709_10153646340007836_1866777026_n

The local cuisine

Your first point of call following a night out will be feeding your strong desire for greasy food – a popular choice amongst students being Nabzy’s, Dixy Chicken or Chester’s. You wouldn’t eat it normally, but at 4am, those cheesy chips with gravy (which is something else you’ll discover whilst up North) will prove irresistible. You’ll find a whole range of takeaway options, so as the saying goes, there’s something for everyone.
12166717_10153646339822836_356917682_n

The Bombed Out Church

If you don’t know it yet, you will. The Bombed Out Church is a key defining feature of the Liverpool landscape. Has anybody actually been inside it? Can you actually pray there? Who knows. However, more importantly, the bombed out church will prove a crucial point of navigation for finding your way around Liverpool over the next three years. We spoke to one third year whose life took a turn for the best after discovering the iconic landmark. Ross Mulhall, a student studying Biochemistry from Kenilworth claimed, “when I arrived in Liverpool I was so lost. Then, one day, somebody told me about the Bombed out Church and I’ve never looked back since; I reminisce on my days as a Fresher and wish somebody had told me sooner.”

Whether it’s arranging to meet your friends before a night out, or the light at the end of the tunnel for finding your way back to the safety of Crown Place or Vine Court, the point is that it’ll be a life-saver.
bombed out church

Scouse Fashion tips

By the end of your degree, you’ll confidently be able to spot a native from a non-native. How, I hear you ask? Scouse fashion. It is definitely where some of the stereotypes are true. Think Scousebrows, matching velour tracksuits, curlers in hair and pyjamas in public. However, Scousers are unashamedly proud of who they are. Thus, Liverpool’s fashionista’s can also get it incredibly right. Bold, bright patterns often accessorized with chunky statement jewelry reflect the detail Scouse birds put into making sure their outfit is perfect. So you probably won’t be dressing like a Desperate Scousewife the time your degree comes to an end, but you will find yourself more willing to experiment with Northern glamour. London, Paris, New York, Smithdown!
12167731_10153646339922836_67959972_n

Liverpool linguistics

Finally, the Liverpool language barrier is a difficult one. After 19 years of living in Liverpool, even to this day I often cringe at hearing the Scouse accent on television. It’s annoying, but it’s what makes us who we are. You’ll find girls to be overly nice, calling you, “babe,” “doll,” and “love.” The men, however, will unintentionally sound aggressive no matter how good their intentions are. The saying, “ya alright mate,” is no longer a question but a greeting, like “hello” or “hi.” “Going for a kip,” means, “having a sleep,” and a “wool,” is somebody who lives across the Mersey and claims to be from Liverpool (a fake Scouser). Pronouns for males can include, “lad” “lid” “la” and “kidda,” whilst the female equivalent will be “queen,” “bird,” or “me ma.” Alcohol becomes “bevvie,” or “ale,” whilst shoes will be known as, “trabs,” “trainees,” or “webs.” Believe me, no matter how many times you try and impersonate the accent it just won’t happen, no matter how many times you try to pronounce, “chicken and a can of coke please.” It takes years of practice, and even then it’s likely a Scouser will realize your true identity as an outsider.

12167843_10153646339912836_205446593_n

We would like to think you’ve now been suitably educated in the art of being a true Scouse student. Go forth and prosper.