Uber are coming to Liverpool, and they’re trying to kill Delta

And we’ll have to wait seven weeks for it

alpha cab company competition delta drivers firm liverpool revolutionary students taxi university village

Problems grabbing a cab on a Saturday night could soon be over, as Uber reveals it will launch in the city.

But we might have to wait until the General Election has passed before it’s confirmed, even though thousands have already signed up for the Liverpool service.

The US-based company revolutionised taxi-booking in London since its launch in July 2012.

Now it has expanded nationally into Manchester and Leeds, with hope of making Liverpool the fourth Uber city in the UK.

It’s already in 45 countries, and more than 200 cities worldwide.

Josh Byrne, second year Orthoptist, isn’t likely to switch over to the new flashy firm.

He said: “I’m either an Alpha or Delta person. They’re both cheap and reliable.”

Unfortunately, the 25,000 of us who have already signed up to use the Uber app face a further seven week wait before the company’s official launch.

The application has been put on hold as the council’s electoral commitments and today’s council meeting took priority.

A member of the council said Uber’s proposal is intended to be heard at the next licensing hearing, which is yet to have a confirmed date.

A spokesman for Uber said: “We have been overwhelmed with the response from both riders and drivers following announcing our intention to begin operations in Liverpool.

“We now have everything in place to launch in Liverpool, and are just waiting for the operator’s license from the council.”