The budget versus high end beauty battle: What’s better?

Should you skimp when it comes to make-up?

| UPDATED beauty budget dark lips eyeliner foundation lipstick make up mascara noad red lips

Liverpool’s renowned for its beauty: the brows, the tan, the rollers. But does looking great really have to mean coughing up the cash?

Can you actually get a catwalk look on a student budget?

Dark Lips

Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Starry Eyed, £4.99.

For less than a fiver this product is a make-up bag essential. It’s true to its name standing the test of time on a night out – only having to reapply once or twice. It’s a great value for money lipstick, proving cheap can still look chic.

Verdict: 7/10

MAC lipstick in Diva, £15.50.

Triple the price of the Rimmel lipstick, but with MAC, paying a little more really does ensure better quality. Virtually no touch up was required and it’s nourishing on the lips (no cakey or clumpy bits). Excellent product and definitely worth investing in, BUT Rimmel does prove a worthy high street competitor.

Verdict: 8/10

Red Lips

Bobbi Brown lipstick in Red, £19.50.

For bold statement lips look no further, the answer to your prayers comes in the godly form of Bobbi Brown. For lasting, quality lipstick in a shade that would make any fire engine envious, this product proves it’s worth splashing a bit of extra cash on.

Verdict: 8/10

The Body Shop lipstick in Red Siren, £10.

Can the high street compete with such supreme powers?  In this case unfortunately not. A feeble attempt from The Body Shop, not quite the wow-factor of its Bobbi Brown competitor. The product is also very thick on the lips – the perfect pout should have a creamy sheen or a marvellous matte, not cakey crap.

Verdict: 4/10

Eye Liner

Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner £7.99.

A product doing just what it says on the tin – nothing amazing, but a decent attempt and great value for money. Complete with a brush for application.

Verdict: 6.5/10

Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Liner £18.00.

Amazingly smooth application, perfect for nailing those feline flicks, easier to apply than Maybelline. However this product falls on its lack of brush, and at nearly £20, buying a brush on top is pushing it.

Verdict: 8/10 initially, but value for money, more like 6/10

Mascara

They’re real Benefit Mascara, £19.50.

False lashes are a thing of the past, this product genuinely lives up to its title. Well worth the money, lashes look noticeably fuller.

Verdict: 10/10

Bourjois Volume Extra Glam Mascara, £7.99.

With Benefit proving tough competition, Bourjois still offer a great high street alternative for a muted everyday look.

Verdict: 7/10

Foundation

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation, £31.00.

Despite expensive appearances, when tested this product proves well worth going into the overdraft for. It has amazing coverage, gives skin a glowing quality and feels very light on the face. You don’t need to apply much, a little goes a long way so the bottle lasts months. For the perfect complexion, this foundation is well worth the investment.

Verdict: 9.5/10

Rimmel Wake me up foundation, £8.99.

Perfect for achieving a dewy complexion with light/medium coverage, but there is a slight shimmer which is noticeable in sunlight. Great for a night out but perhaps not for everyday wear.

Verdict: 7/10

Sometimes it’s worth splashing a little more cash for a longer lasting and more polished looks – like in case of vegan nail polish. However the Rimmel lipstick and Bourjois mascara give their pricey competitors a run for their money, proving beauty doesn’t always have to break the bank.