I refuse to part with the hair braid I got on my gap yah

Getting rid means accepting it’s over 

cool. hair dread lock edgy gap year impression liverpool student thailand travelling uni

I got my hair braid at the end of the best year of my life in Thailand. At the time it was no big deal, just the more sensible option to a full head of dreads I’d been contemplating.

Little did I realise at the time just how symbolic it would become, as I have now had it in for six months and counting. 

I didn’t really plan to keep it in for so long. But once it had reached the stage of dreading, I was intrigued to see how it would manifest on my head. I equally liked the idea of having a single dread braid because I wanted to make the coolest first impression possible at uni. It worked, as everyone knows me as “the edgy one” now.

I put that down to the braid.

ymcmb

It’s worth the pain

Like everything, there are pros and cons of maintaining a hair braid turned dread. The pros are obviously it makes me a super wavy idol to others (squad goal). The cons are it’s a bit minging and gets in the way when doing my hair.

Swings and roundabouts.

The main reason why I have kept my baby braid in for this long, and with no intention of removing it, is because it keeps me close to my beloved gap year. It’s a constant reminder that I once lived the travellar life, thus impossible to let go of.

Sometimes I call it bae

My long and thick hair can hide it well for formal occasions that are unsuitable for the braid like work. But it’s so comforting to know it’s always close to me, and almost a part of me: much like my amazing, amazing, amazing gap year.

My family and friends all hope for one day when I will get over my gap year and realise it’s time to call it a day on the braid. As I don’t see that coming anytime soon (never let go of Thailand is my mantra), I expect to see this braid through until it’s a fully fledged dread, or make additions to it such as beads, feathers, funky plaits – anything within the edgy realm.

Everyone look at me on my gap year

So until I’m ready to accept the end of my time in Thailand, the dread braid (name TBC, maybe on her first birthday) is here to stay.