UPDATE: Holmes street shooting victim named

17-year-old Kevin Wilson was murdered in a ‘targeted attack’

The victim of a fatal shooting on Holmes Street last night has been named as Kevin Wilson.

A male described as “young” was shot in the back before being declared dead at Royal hospital a short time later.

Today police confirmed the victim as 17-year-old male Kevin Wilson, who was originally from Scotland but had been living in the city.

The police also believe the murder to be a “targeted attack”.

Emergency services arrived at the scene at around 8:30pm last night and remain there today as the investigation continues.

Police arrived at the scene at around 8:30pm last night

Nearby roads including Nicander Road and Garmoyle Road were temporarily sealed off to allow for forensic examinations to be carried out.

Last night Detective Chief Superintendent Karen Cummings said: “The investigation is in its early stages and extensive enquiries are being carried out to establish any potential motive and to identify those responsible.

“I would urge anyone who saw anything, or who has any information, which could help us with our enquiries to contact us urgently. You may not think that the information you have is significant but it could help us with our enquiries in relation to either of these incidents.”

A section of Smithdown Road is to remain sealed off “for days” while the investigation continues, meaning the 699 and 86 bus routes will be diverted.

A section of Smithdown Road remains sealed off

English second year Elizabeth Mary Aiston lives close to the scene and was moved to sleep at her friend’s for the night.

She said:  “I ended up staying at my friends house last night, just off Picton Road.

“I didn’t feel safe staying in my house by myself, especially when there’s a gunman walking around the streets near my house. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of that poor guy.”

Anyone who has any information is asked to contact the Matrix team on 0800 230 0600, or Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555 111.