Smithdown spot crowned best breakfast gaff in UK

The dish doesn’t include hash-browns though…

Breakfast liverpool penny lane Smithdown Road students the Tavern company Wavertree Winner

A popular Smithdown favourite has been voted the best breakfast in the UK for the second year in a row.

The Tavern Company, in Wavertree, has won the Best Breakfast award as well as the People’s Choice with almost 2,000 votes.

The winning dish consists of two bangers, bacon, grilled tomato, black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans, thick toast slices and two “specialist” sausages – whatever they are.

Every breakfast comes with the option of bottomless tea or coffee which could explain why they came on top out of hundreds of venues across the country.

Greenbank’s attempt at a full English

Proud owner of the gaff, Keith, said: “We’re thrilled to have won the UK’s best breakfast for a second time.

“We started serving breakfast, only on Sundays, 20 years ago to about 12 people, and now we’re serving over 2,000 breakfasts a week.

“Since winning the award in 2014 we have had to extend our opening hours and expand our breakfast menu.

“We would like to sincerely thank our loyal customers for helping us to retain our title in 2015.”

But fussy Music student Bobby isn’t impressed by the hash-brown-less breakfast.

He said: “But it doesn’t even come with a hash-brown. What’s the point?”

The awards take place as part of Breakfast Week, which aims to emphasise the importance of eating breakfast every morning.

It runs from January 25 to 31, and is a national campaign organised on behalf of UK cereal farmers and producers to celebrate the importance of the first meal of the day.