Cheap ale for all: Liverpool’s first pound pub to open its doors in Wavertree

The pool table is free too

| UPDATED alcohol brookhouse cuffs cuffs bar wavertree drinking pund pub smithdown Wavertree

Cash strapped? Smithdown’s new pound pub is the answer to your prayers.

Cuffs Bar, Wavertree, will open its doors on January 20, pouring you the finest pints from as little as £1.50.

Liverpool’s first pound pub will be open just in time for the end of exams, with John Smiths, Fosters and Strongbow some of the drinks on offer at the lowest prices.

Joyless locals are concerned the controversial pound pub – the fourth in the country – will encourage binge drinking, but Manager Dorothea says it isn’t their intention.

Dorothea (right) is hoping for a big student crowd

She told The Tab: “This is a family run business and we have been here for five years.

“Our staff are fully licensed and it is against the law to sell alcohol to someone who is inebriated.

“If any member of staff was seen to be breaking the law they would be sacked.”

Dorothea is hoping to attract more students to the pub, and with free use of the pool table until 4pm and talk of a games console, it’s looking like it might be popular.

Wavertree local and student Lora Jones also jumped to the defence of the soon-to-open pub.

She said: “I think its good that a business outside of town is trying to increase its profits, I don’t think it will encourage binge drinking at all.”

The pub will provide stiff competition to favourite The Brookhouse, which currently offers cheap drink deals on a Thursday night.