AU club membership at an all time high

Gaelic football and martial arts are big on campus

The number of AU club members has never been higher, with nearly 4,000 people recorded from the start of the semester.

With around 3,700 students signed up to the 47 clubs on offer, the University are delighted with this recording breaking engagement with sport.

They said: “This reflects very well on the sporting offer available to all University of Liverpool students.”

The netball team made the top spot with membership numbers, tallying an impressive 200 people across club and campus teams.

The union has plenty to celebrate today

Following closely behind was the men’s rugby team and, perhaps surprisingly, the archery club maxed out on its membership numbers.

Gaelic Football – which is somewhere in between rugby and football – has also enjoyed large turn outs on a regular basis.

Martial arts clubs are proving to be popular too. Perhaps students are realising a bit of self-defence can come in handy living on Smithdown Road.

Martial arts club members?

Jess, a second year Law student, joined the kickboxing team to “feel safer” on the infamous Lawrence Road.

She said: “I just wanted to feel safer but also challenge myself.
“Watch out, Jess is about.”

It’s not too late to be apart of an AU team. Just fork out a quick £30 and you’ll be good to go.

They also chuck in physio as a treat for AU members.