Cracking up at the Carnatic creepers: Staff made jokes about intruders at formal

Freshers don’t believe the issue is a humorous one

carnatic creeper halls liverpool Rankin

A member of staff was overheard laughing and joking about the two security breaches at Carnatic, where men walked into the halls unchecked.

The member of staff told students not to return to halls next year after a former fresher was caught wandering round Salisbury and a middle-aged man followed some girls into Rankin.

At the halls formal dinner last week, the employee said jokingly: “There’s been a lot of publicity about Rankin recently.

“Let’s hope you won’t be back next year. Don’t be Carni creeper number three!”

This man followed two girls into Rankin

Carnatic has been running an open-door policy at Rankin Hall of late

The first Carni creeper was a returning student who wandered into Salisbury Halls, reportedly stoned, opening rooms to have a look and stealing biscuits.

Students at the time were terrified.

One said: “We thought he was going to stab us because his hands were holding something behind his back.”

The second incident involved a man getting on the 699 at Asda and following students all the way into Carnatic Halls, where he was let into the Rankin Foyer by the caretaker.

After security rang the police, he was interviewed and searched while a group of students filmed the whole thing.

Creeper the second

The member of staff made the remark at last week’s formal

One resident said: “I can’t believe the warden made a joke out of this issue.

“The situation scared the shit out of me.

“I don’t appreciate being followed into my own home by creepy men who the caretakers allow in.

“On top of this I find it disheartening how the people who are supposed to be looking out for us are making jokes about what happened.”

A room at Rankin costs £131.25 per week, a cost that supposedly goes towards on-site security.