Second suspected case of Meningitis at Hope University

The news comes just weeks after Alisha Bartolini died because of the virus

A student at Liverpool Hope is being treated for what is thought to be another case of meningitis.

The infection is yet to be confirmed by lab tests, but health protection experts at Public Health England’s Cheshire and Merseyside centre say the case is probably a meningococcal infection.

The news comes just days after Alisha Bartolini’s death was confirmed as a rare, bacterial form of meningitis.

Alisha Bartolini was the latest student to die as a result of the illness

However, the Hope student is not thought to be a close friend of Alisha and is said to be responding well to treatment.

This story is the latest in a series of meningitis cases on university campuses both in and outside of Liverpool, and experts are urging students to remain calm.

Just last month, a University of Liverpool student contracted meningitis.

Dr Joanna Cartwright at PHE’s Liverpool Centre said: “We understand students will be concerned, especially due to the recent very sad death of another student from meningococcal infection at Liverpool Hope University.

“Students starting university and mixing with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the meningococcal bacteria, are at risk of infection.

“Meningococcal infection is comparatively rare, but everyone should be aware of the symptoms to look out for and be prepared to take urgent action whenever it is suspected.”

Just last month a University of Liverpool student contracted meningitis

Alisha passed away after a night out at Medication

She continued: “Meningococcal bacteria do not spread easily.

“Only people who have had prolonged, close contact with the ill person are at a slightly increased risk of becoming unwell, which is why only very close contacts of the student are being identified and offered antibiotics as a precautionary measure.”

Students are urged to look for the symptoms of meningitis, which include:

• A rash that doesn’t fade when pressed with a glass

• Sudden onset of high fever

• Severe and worsening headache

• Stiff neck

• Vomiting

• Joint and muscle pain

• Dislike of bright lights

• Very cold hands and feet

Students are encouraged to check whether or not they had the vaccine when they were younger

A spokesman for Hope Uni said: “The University naturally has the best interests of its students and staff at heart and is following the advice of PHE who have the professional expertise in this matter.”