Meningitis caused death of girl after night in Medication
Alisha is the latest British student to die as a result of the illness
The Hope fresher who died after a night at Med was killed by Meningitis, a forensic report found.
Alisha Bartolini,18, was found dead in Hope Palace Campus property on the evening of Saturday November 1st after spending Halloween in Medication.
Merseyside Police today stated the cause of death as Meningococcal Meningitis – a serious, bacterial form of Meningitis.
She is now the third student to die from the illness this term, and students nationwide have been warned about the threat of the illness on campus.
Expert Dr Sema Mandal of Public Health England said: “Students starting university and mixing with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the Meningococcal bacteria, are at risk of infection.
“Ideally, freshers should have the MenC vaccination at least two weeks before they go away to study.”
Last month, a Northumbria third year died as result of the highly infectious illness, while students at Exeter, Glasgow and Strathclyde have also been severely affected.
Another fresher at Manchester was killed by the illness earlier this month.
Alisha was described by her family as “an intelligent, bubbly, popular girl who was much-loved by everyone in her family and all her friends.”