‘We’re just a burger joint’: Controversial Death Row themed diner lets you eat inmates’ last meals

And there are mug shots on the walls

| UPDATED Death Row Diner liverpool Restaurant

They were awaiting execution after committing the most horrendous and unspeakable crimes, and now you can eat their last meals.

The newest restaurant to hit Hope Street ends the search for the worst taste diner as it takes its inspiration from condemned criminals on Death Row.

With sections labelled “No Regrets” and dishes named after methods of human torturing – such as “Hog-Tied” – the diner emits a rather eerie and debatable atmosphere.

But the manager insists it’s “just a burger joint” – even though there are mug shots on the walls and telephones imitating prisoners’ last phone calls.

The manager told The Tab: “We’ve just created an underlying concept to create an atmosphere.

“We don’t sit on electric chairs, we’re not all about death, we’re just a burger joint.”

He then compared the Liverpool diner to the London pop-up version, which was shut down after a huge public dispute.

“They had things like ‘lethal injection burgers’ on the menu. That’s not us.”

Not surprisingly, the 1950s inspired restaurant, which has detailed prisoner biographies plastered on the walls, has caused uproar.

Liverpool resident Elsie Howie told The Tab: “You have to wonder what kind of conscience or business mind sees fit to call an eatery Death Row Diner.

“And then to try and pass it off as artistic commentary on the American dream. How the council have allowed this to open I’ve no idea.

“Inglorious moment for Hope Street.”

Alex Minion, a Liverpool University student said: “I  think it’s a different approach but I can’t really imagine wanting to look at pictures of dead people when eating my food.”

The eatery attracted even more bad press after posting a picture depicting racism in 1950s America on their Facebook page.

A picture the Facebook page posted on their timeline

An individual responded by asking: “What is the significance of this picture? Do you not think the name of your venture is in bad taste?

“Death Row is still in place in certain American States and there have been a number of botched executions there. Are you really going for Death Row chic?”

The restaurant responded: “We don’t think there is a contradiction in allowing people to enjoy an experience but also make them think at the same time.

“They are ‘engaged’ when they look at what we’re doing. Come in. Have a look for yourself. Then pass judgement.

“Our theme is dark and surreal. We see nothing wrong in that.”

With the London pop-up diner closing before it barely had a chance to open and forced to issue and apology statement, the question remains if Liverpool’s Death Row Dive n’ Diner will survive its sentence.