Take my breath away: Bum out bouncers will turn you away if you’ve had over three pints

Wetwipe bouncers will make you pass a breathalyser test before letting you in

breathalyser concert square drinking liverpool

Joyless bouncers could be sending you home as breathalysing on entry is introduced in clubs across the city.

Every Friday and Saturday night, 25 bars including Soho in Concert Square will force you to pass a breathalyser test to see if you’re too drunk.

If you’ve had over three pints you could be deemed too pissed to party – you’ll be refused entry if you’re twice the drink-drive limit.

One pint averages around 2.3 units, and with the drink-drive limit at three units for girls and four for boys, you might have to curb your predrinks if you want to actually go out.

The initiative is part of the campaign Say No To Drunks in a bid to help make the city safer… or ruin our nights out.

The party-poopers will only use breathalysers on customers who they believe have had too much to drink, so you better practice acting sober.

A quiet night out on Seel Street

A candidate for the breathalyser

The future of predrinks is at stake

Jenny Davies from the alcohol and tobacco division of Liverpool Trading Standards said: “The legal drive limit is 35 micrograms, so we have set our limit at double that at 70, so if someone blows over that then they will be deemed too drunk to enter.

“People with an alcohol level below 70mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath would be granted entrance into the bars and clubs.”

Not surprisingly, students are furious as the future of predrinks hangs in the balance.

James, a second year Architect student, said: “Isn’t it a better use of time to protect those who aren’t drunk rather than just making those who are drunk to become more agitated?

“Surely they have to consider that some people can hold alcohol better than others, but would still come up at the same reading.

“It’s almost as if they’re treating alcohol like it’s illegal.”

How long before the guild starts breathalysing?

English Literature student Jon agrees. He said: “I don’t see what gives an establishment the right to monitor the habits of an individual on such an invasive, and potentially aggressive way.

“Of course there will be people who become overly intoxicated, and these people are clearly noticed.

“The management have responsibility for their patrons’ wellbeing and I fail to see how this measure helps at all.

“The introduction of yet another power to the arsenal of the bouncer can only add to the already overly inflated ego trip that so many bouncers indulge.”

Councillor Roz Gladden, Deputy Mayor and cabinet member for social care and health, said: “A lot of people tend to preload, drinking before they come out, so if staff see someone who looks intoxicated they can breathalyse them and refuse entry if they are over the limit we have set.”

Just under the limit

What the breathalyser tests definitely won’t look like

The new measure is also in place to remind bar staff not to serve customers who seem to be drunk.

Failing to stick to these regulations can result in penalty fines and court convictions.

The owner of Soho, Tony McGee said: “This is a good initiative and another tool to highlight to our customers that they must drink responsibly.

“We don’t want to ruin people’s nights.”

Supt Mark Wiggins from Merseyside police said: “We know that people who consume alcohol are two and half times more likely to become a victim or an offender in relation to violence if they preload.

“We want people to think before they come out.”

These guys will have no choice but to refuse you at the bar