Controversial Hillsborough cop has honorary degree delayed

The Commissioner is under investigation for misconduct on the night of the tragedy

Football hillsborough JFT96 sport university of liverpool

A Liverpool plod won’t receive his honorary degree because he’s being investigated for his conduct in relation to the Hillsborough tragedy.

The University has postponed awarding Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe his honorary degree after the IPCC announced he was under investigation.

The Commissioner is accused of falsely claiming he made a statement to the official investigation and has been heavily criticised for his handling of anxious relatives on the night of the disaster – understandably provoking widespread anger when it was announced he would be receiving the award from the Uni.

As soon as the ceremony was announced the University was subject to rounds of criticism, with an online petition calling for the decision to be reversed surfacing within hours.

Digital coaching brand GloballCoach also lashed out and cancelled a planned partnership with the University having heard news of the decision to award Hogan-Howe the degree.

They said: “For a University based in this city to add to that distress with a thoughtless decision to honour an individual linked to the disaster in this way – before the investigation into his conduct is complete and while the inquests are still running their course – is not only insensitive but also, quite frankly, shocking.”

The University has now decided it will delay awarding the Commissioner the degree.

A spokesman for the University said: “The University offered an honorary degree to Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe  in 2012 in recognition of his contributions to Merseyside as Chief Constable and his services to national security in his role as Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.

“Given the ongoing inquests and investigations relating to the Hillsborough disaster, the University and the Commissioner have decided to postpone the degree ceremony pending the outcome of the investigations.”

“We are deeply sorry if we have inadvertently caused any distress to the Hillsborough families and did not intend any offence.  All of us feel great sensitivity to the families at this difficult time.”

Assessment of the Commissioner’s actions are part of a sweeping on-going investigation into police misconduct that has been at the forefront of national news in recent years, with groups calling for various individuals to be brought to justice after decades of campaigning.

Michael, third year Physics student, is far from impressed with the statement.

He said: “The ‘apology’ is pretty much a hastily written PR exercise.

“The fact they have postponed it rather than cancelling it suggests it may well go ahead after the inquests, and they’re waiting for the media coverage to die down.”

Guild president Harry Anderson is “pleased” the University have delayed the ceremony.

He said: “We’re pleased to see the University has postponed giving Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe an Honorary Degree, as to do so at this time would be inappropriate.”