The Wolf of Abercromby Square: PhilSoc President says he’s a modern day Jordan Belfort

He drinks booze for breakfast because it’s cheaper than orange juice

jordan belfort philosophy society philsoc wolf of wall street

Life’s not so bad for the Philosophy Society President, who spends his days drinking, partying and hardly sleeping.

Michael Sonne looks like your average student, but underneath the calm facade he is an energetic philosopher, coping with the questions of life. His only vice is alcohol and partying.

His rock and roll lifestyle might not sound too different from your own, but Michael’s addiction to the live fast, die young mantra has left him downing booze for brekkie.

The man, the myth, the legend

He told The Tab: “The last drink I had was a pint of Fosters at 8am with my cereal.

“I don’t see a problem with this, everybody has their own personal vices.

“Maybe it’s a dependency but I think it is cheaper in terms of value than having an orange juice, which can be quite expensive.

“My life is like a recurring cycle: you have a drink, you get a bit depressed, you spend a bit of time alone in your room with your light off, under the covers, maybe reading a book but occasionally a tear might come from the sheer horror of existence.

“Descartes said intoxicate thyself, which is one of his arguments to deal with the fundamental problems of life.”

Consuming his favourite drink

The President’s favourite drink is a pitcher of Tuborg, all to himself.

Even though most philosophers believe in sharing, Michael feels very differently: “I don’t see the necessity of sharing. People should have their own liberty, the liberty to consume their own alcohol.”

A viewpoint students might all agree with – let there be beer.

The BNOC even fancies himself as a modern day Jordan Belfort: “I think I am living a Wolf of Wall Street life style – I can even do the chant from the film.”

The President of the super serious Philosophy society then began to bang his chest and chant, embodying Matthew McConaughey as he did it.

But with all this drinking, there are consequences. Michael admits he cannot sleep, nor does he even want to.

Shots anybody? He won’t share

He continued: “Sleep is a bit of disturbance, it disturbs me when I want to do work.

“I don’t really sleep. I am questioning myself, questioning my committee. I get about three to four hours of sleep a night.”

Sonne genuinely looks tired, but he looks like a suffering genius, so consumed by his philosophy that he cannot waste time sleeping when he could be reading, drinking and living it up, Belfort style.

This charming philosopher confesses to feeling wired all the time, “but then I have a drink and I am more attuned to the philosophy I do today.”

The party life catches up with us all at some point, but even if this President gets a little depressed, he can always find solace in a pint.