Professor gives CPR following ‘serious medical emergency’ in lecture theatre

Witnesses in Central Teaching Hub say lecturer was left shaken

Serious concerns have been raised for the health of a member of staff who needed medical attention in a lecture.

Witnesses told The Tab lecturer Robin Holt was visibly shaken after he said he performed CPR in the previous lecture.

At the moment it is unclear how serious the emergency is.

Sam, a second year whose lecture had to be moved because of the incident, said: “I don’t know any facts, but my lecture was delayed because the lecture room I was going into had someone in who was obviously being treated.

“We were meant to be in Room D but ended up in B in the Central Teaching Hub as there had been a serious medical emergency.

“We got into our new lecture theatre and my lecturer said he had been doing CPR.

“He was a bit shaken.”

He added: “It didn’t happen in our lecture so no one saw anything. I think people are just a bit confused as to what has happened.”

Second year Sophie said: “I don’t know much as it happened in a lecture theatre as we were stood outside, and we just got told someone was very ill and CPR was being used.”

The incident occurred in the Central Teaching Hub this afternoon.

A University of Liverpool spokesperson said: “Emergency services were called to the University campus this afternoon in response to a member of staff who became suddenly ill.

“The patient is receiving treatment in hospital and family members have been notified.”

More to folllow