Meet the AU Captains – telling you everything from rum-fuelled catamaran days to group sex

The AU captains tell us why their team is the best on campus

| UPDATED athletic union au captains sport liverpool

With the new academic year set to kick off, the AU captains tell you why you should join their team.

The boys

Rugby Union – Guy Kingsley-Smith

Course and year: third year Biological Sciences.

Hometown: Newcastle Upon-Tyne.

What is the funniest or most memorable moment from last season/tour?

After winning the Christie Cup in Leeds last year, we swapped a few of our slightly more willing freshers with a few from Manchester Uni. All freshers eventually returned in one piece, although a highly intoxicated Dan Semple went half way to Birmingham before realising he was on the wrong train.

What makes you the best team at uni?

Liverpool University Rugby field three highly competitive teams, all of which are aspiring to win their leagues this season. The fourth XV also have the opportunity at silverware. Our set up off the field is unrivalled, with excellent coaching and gym programs available for all players.

Our infamous social calendar speaks for itself. Our presence is certainly felt on a Wednesday night.

One-to-watch

After setting the field alight last season, self-proclaimed ladies’ man Tom Milner is set to reciprocate his form this term, anchoring the first XV midfield.

Tom is the first on the training pitch and the last off it, setting an example to us all. He’s always working on his kicking and variety of distribution, taking inspiration from his hero Matt Banahan.

The fledgling model’s passion for the game is second to none, and LURFC are lucky to have him in our ranks. Be sure to hear about Tom breaking hearts and scoring tries, all in the aid of finding Mrs Right.

Football – Jamil Saleh

Course and Year: third year Mechanical Engineering.

Hometown: Portsmouth.

The 30 hour coach journey home from Salou was buzzing. And winning the league last season, in Manchester.

What makes you the best team at uni?

We’re not the best team. Women’s water polo are.

One-to-watch

Ben Arnold is the one to look out for. People can learn a lot from his work-rate.

Rowing – Tim Hopkins

Course and Year: third year Physics.

Hometown: Bewdley, Worcestershire.

The memory that sticks in my mind from last year comes from the largest event of the year, Henley Royal Regatta. The event is the most prestigious regatta of the rowing calendar is attended by athletes from across the globe, and needless to say everyone is on their best behaviour.

After missing out on qualification by a mere three seconds everyone was a little disheartened. To lift spirits in the camp our amazing coach Val Edwards proceeded to run and jump into the Thames River and, of course, all the guys followed suit.

So as many looked down on us with disgust at our actions, we had a whale of a time swimming around in the river.

What makes you the best team at uni?

Well, this is easy as we are officially the University’s top club for 2013/2014, as awarded by the Athletic Union last year. The club and its members completely personify the “Work Hard, Play Harder” moto.

The guys and girls spend hours each week training together to achieve outstanding results and it should come as no surprise that when a social comes around, it is like nothing freshers will have ever seen before.

This is what being in a sport’s team at university is all about and what makes Liverpool University Boat Club the best.

One-to-watch

This has to be the club’s resident joker, Jack Vojak. The guy truly burns the candle at both ends. He trains and works incredibly hard as well as being the most hilarious and crazy guy.

Whether it is a training session or a night out, it’s never dull with Vojak around. To anyone joining the club, I warn you, keep an eye on Mr Jack Vojak.

Lacrosse – Calum Murie

Calum Murie, Men’s Lacrosse Captain (left)

Course and Year: Masters in Marine Biology.

Hometown: Winsford.

Probably the strange load of group sex that went down through the year.

What makes you the best team at uni?

We welcome beginners and have ridiculous socials where we play non-forced drinking games. We’re also a pretty laid back club. 

One-to-watch

Matt Collier is the best player, while Lewis Carmody is a shark for the ladies. 

Cricket – Callum Morris

Callum Morris, Cricket Club Captain (middle)

Course and Year: third year Pharmacology.

Hometown: Oswestry, Shropshire.

For last season, it has to be our double promotion with both teams unbeaten in BUCS competition.

For our tour to Barbados, it’s a close call between the rum-fuelled catamaran day or our karaoke night with the New Zealand cricket team.

What makes you the best team at uni?

You can’t find a better place to go on tour than Barbados or Australia. With a third XI team being formed for next year as well as a whole new Ladies’ Cricket section, we’re definitely the club to look out for in the next couple of years.  

One-to-watch

Josh Bates. With his steely-eyed gaze and beautifully brutal bowling action, the “Iron fist” is well known for punching through a batting order as defiant as a brick wall. With memories of 80mph bouncers flying past opener’s heads, Liverpool University Cricket predict another destructive season for our talisman. Put simply, he is comparable to a fine wine – he gets even better with age.

Hockey- Fred Kjaergaard-Higgins

Fred Kjaergaard-Higgins, Hockey President

Course and Year: fourth year Business and Spanish.

Hometown: Colchester.

Rimini Tour, on the beach. The entire club was smashing the “Scully Shuffle” (choreographed dance moved invented by our very own Rich Scully, third year) with the ILOVETOUR reps, and getting it on their promo vid.

What makes you the best team at uni?

We are not just a sports club, we are a group of very close individuals who look after each other both on and off the pitch. The amount of work and effort that every single member has put into this club has made Liverpool Hockey Club incredibly strong. We work hard and play hard.

We are full of different characters from all over the country. Some of my favourite university memories have come from hockey, and having come back from my year abroad this summer, I can’t wait to get back into it.

One-to-watch

Sport-wise – Joe Julbacki. Going into his second year captaining the Weds firsts, he is a fantastic player. He works very hard and is going to be one of the greats.

Social-wise – Chris de Soysa. Also going into his second year, Chris will be very strong socially. Given the title of best fresher, he has a big reputation to live up to, and I am sure he will be a great role model for future freshers.

The girls

Lacrosse – Alice Barker

Course and Year: second year Veterinary Science.

Hometown: York.

Beating John Moores in the very irate mixed tournament final to win, and Michaela’s dancing.

What makes you the best team at uni?

Most moral wins in a season.

One-to-watch:

Sally Stoddart (secnods captain), because she is a ginger ninja and incredibly perky. Also Saskia Burden because she has some pretty nifty moves that didn’t get much show last season but are promised to astound this year.

Cheerleading – Caroline Hancox

Caroline Hancox, Women’s Cheerleading Captain

Course and Year: third year Psychology.

Hometown: Sheffield Tour.

I’ve never been on tour but from last season it was seeing everyone’s routines at BCA, as I thought everyone performed exceptionally.

What makes you the best team at uni?

What makes us the best team is, as cheesy as it sounds, that everyone works together. It is less about the individual and more about the collective whole, so it is a supportive and fun environment.

One-to-watch

I think everyone is someone to look out for in the squad. I wouldn’t underestimate anyone.

Women’s Rowing – Bethany Rolt

Bethany Rolt, Women’s Rowing Captain

Course and year: third year History.

Hometown: Doncaster.

Racing Oxford and Cambridge at BUCS.

What makes you the best team at uni?

Our commitment and hard work.

One-to-watch

We had a few novice girls last year that were looking good for a place in the senior boat, so there will definitely be tough competition this year.

Women’s Hockey – Elizabeth Mott

Elizabeth Mott, Women’s Hockey Captain

Course and Year: third year Maths.

Hometown: Sheffield.

Varsity for a start. It gets super competitive, with everyone chanting away on the side line while teams play trying to intimidate them, plus lots of games and a busy night out after. I just love the whole atmosphere and it really brings the whole club together- not to mention the fact Liverpool Uni won last year.

Secondly, Christie Cup. This is a massive, not too competitive, tournament played every year with Manchester, Leeds and us. Not every sports team participates in this, and those that don’t are missing out.

And finally tour. This is such a fun week abroad with the entire club where I found I got so much closer to a lot of the members of the club I didn’t know as well before. There were so many activities, a lot of which happened at the beach, which made it even better. Some funny matches where any rule went, basically all in all having a LOT of laughs.

What makes you the best team at uni?

One of the main things is the fact we have four teams. Any night out, even if it’s not a significant one, is always well attended.

Being a big club also means we accept all standards of hockey players because we have a place for everyone. So from people who have never picked up a hockey stick before to people who have played for their country, it doesn’t matter all are welcome. Also our club is paired with the men’s hockey, so there’s loads of us.

Overall, we have a great club because every member is so friendly and sociable, and with hockey as our shared interest, we are a great bunch of girls.

One-to-watch

We have lots of strong players, personalities and committed members. Our club wouldn’t work without each and every member as we all bring a different element.

Our first team is made up of some very talented players, including some that have played for their country. The club committee members impress every year with their dedication and effort that is put into all the organisation of the club and we have so many great characters scattered around.

It would be hard to pick out just one person as it is the strengths of all the individuals put together that makes us a club to look out for.