The Summer Ball: To wear or not to wear?

With much on-going speculation around the Summer Ball, every attendee is asking the same question- what on EARTH are we supposed to wear?

abercromby square ball drinks Festival guild summer ball university of liverpool

The Summer Ball is fast approaching, and with the Guild not being exactly helpful with their “no strict dress code”, The Tab is once again on hand to give you some much needed fashion guidance.

Despite being given the name ‘ball’ (we assume this was in concurrence of it being held in our fabulous new Guild) it’s actually going to be in Abercromby Square. There will be grass, and it will be outside, and suddenly to-the-floor ball gowns seem unsuitable.

The only clue we’ve been given is that it’s a ‘posh festival’. What’s a posh festival? What do you wear to a posh festival?!

Surely the Guild’s ambiguous dress code can only lead to anarchy. What if people think it’s okay to show up in shell suits and onesies or-  god forbid- trainers. With over 2,000 tickets sold and confusion all around campus vis-a-vis what we should wear, The Tab think it’s best to establish some kind of ‘dress code’, and here it is:

The boys

We understand that in this particular circumstance it is more difficult to decide what to wear for the boys. They’re usually so categorised and absolute, but with such ambivalence circulating and the horrifying fear of looking out of place or overdressed, the gents are like a fish out of water.

The Dickie-bow 

For the boys with a bit of flare and dare it’s a prime way to be dressed without looking overdressed. Match it with a smart shirt and some smart chinos (I’m talking black or beige, no primary colours please) and it creates the perfect fun, cheeky yet finely dressed concoction.

The Blazer

If that’s just a bit too daring for you then ditch the bow-tie, whack on a crisp white, open collar shirt, dark denim jeans and a casual blazer. Keep the colours dark to keep in theme with the ‘ball’ title of the event. It’s not about purple chinos and/or hawaiian shirts, it never has and never will.

If even that’s a bit too dressed for you then replace the shirt with a t-shirt, but no crazy aztec patterns or bold pictures printed on the front please, it’s best to keep things simple to make this outfit work.

Features Ed Benedict Spence looking oh so suave

The shorts

If you wish to channel the ‘summer’ more than the ‘ball’ in your outfit then rid of the jeans/chinos/trousers and get your legs out for the ladiez. Shorts can work very well with a smart shirt (I think a t-shirt is pushing the casual boundaries a bit too far), as long as they are a neutral colour and not 6 inches above the knee. Ta.

Getting your legs out is a confidence barrier- fight through the pain.

The girls

Shoes

Apparently heels are not advised, but if there’s a will there’s a way and personally I’m going to give it my best shot. There is going to be a floor put down so if you don’t want to walk on saturated grass then you don’t have to. But after a few civilised glasses of vino that notion may go out the window. So maybe wear a chunky heel to avoid sinking 4 inches into the ground and hitting the deck when you’re too tipsy to realise that you’re actually embedded into the ground.

However if you don’t want to spend most of the night pulling your heels out of the grass every thirty seconds then flats is the way to go. As a small thing in a good package myself, I’m not usually one for flats but some chunky strappy sandals are a very on trend way to gain a bit of height whilst still being steady on your feet. They’ll fit in with the summery-festival guideline we’ve been given and more importantly they are Tab approved.

Okay so technically not flats per se but two inches does NOT count as a heel (Zara)

The rest…

Considering the baseline of what to wear is centred around a festival-esque theme, certain types of outfits may be deemed as OTT, but as always it’s all about how you work it. A cute summery dress, busy patterns and bright colours can never fail. Also considering the food is exotic burgers and hog roast, a case of drunken munchies may cause a few slops and spillages to take place and bright patterns and colours will hide this. Win-win sitch.

Bright colours vs. busy patterns, which one shall you choose? (Girls IGNORE the trainers)

Although the Guild have said ‘think’ festival that doesn’t mean we take it literally. Please don’t show up in wellies, denim short-shorts and paint plastered over your face. I have a feeling the term isn’t meant to be taken entirely literally. In other words it’s probably best to be comfortable and able to survive the dance floor after many, many shots. Smart, bright shorts, a dressy cropped tee and chunky heels/flats will look perfect. Its comfortable and no need to worry about drunkenly flashing after your five jaeger bombs for £10.

Hope this helps ladies and gents, see you all there looking fabulous as per!

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.