Uni staff outraged by jokey Tab advice

Library wet wipes send moany email about tips on ‘how to steal a computer’

complaint computers harold cohen library staff sydney jones

The library staff can’t take a joke – and they think you can’t either.

Liverpool’s Student Communications Officer has sent a disgruntled email to The Tab after we offered advice on how to steal a computer on Sunday.

After the publication of 5 ways to steal a computer in the library, we received an email from library staff, highlighting all the lovely services they kindly offer us.

Worried that naive, confused students would take the advice we gave seriously – which included seducing a computer user – panicked staff told us they were “concerned” about our instructions.

Cause for concern: The Tab’s advice was not taken as a joke

The email sent yesterday reads:

“I’m contacting you to raise a concern about an article which was published on The Tab yesterday: https://thetab.com/uk/liverpool/2014/05/11/5-ways-to-steal-a-computer-in-the-library/

“The library staff are understandably concerned about the advice which is offered to students in the piece. I’d be grateful if you would balance the article by making clear that there are some useful tools students can use to access study space. I don’t think it’s clear that the suggestions currently listed are not to be taken seriously – I’m sure you can understand why it’s important that this is not misinterpreted by students.

“I’ve enclosed below a statement to outline the services which are available to students:

And just in case you are one of those who has taken our computer-grabbing advice without a pinch of salt, here’s a list of useful services the library offers:

“The University is working hard to improve access to study space. Recently introduced services include:

• PC Finder tool – this service helps students to see where free PC seats are available. There are a number of PC centres outside the two main libraries, so this tool uses GPS location service on the mobile or tablet to locate where you are before displaying the PC availability in centres close to you.
  • Extended opening hours in Central Teaching Laboratory PC Teaching Centre – the opening hours of the PC Teaching Centre on the first floor of the Central Teaching Laboratory have been extended to 8pm for the summer revision and exam period.
  • Increased number of speed stations – this aims to free up PCs for students needing to do more time intensive pieces of work by providing a space where users can perform quick tasks such as checking emails and printing documents.
  • Print Anywhere – this service enables students to easily print from their own computer, tablet or mobile device. As well as providing more flexible access to printing, the service helps to reduce demand on campus computers which might otherwise have been tied up to complete simple printing jobs.
  • Wireless improvements – the process for connecting to the wireless service has been streamlined and coverage has been extended across the campus as part of the ongoing University network improvement programme.”

So there you have it. 

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.