Takeaway nightmares: Smithdown favourites fail health inspection

Student favourites Ate Days a Week and Carlito’s are given ZERO food hygiene rating by the Food Standards Agency

ate days a week cafe carlito's pizza food hygiene hangover food pizza smithdown takeaway

There’s nothing a student loves more than a good chicken burger post-Heebies and a fry up the next day, but maybe you should think twice before heading to Carlito’s Pizza and Ate Days a Week on Smithdown Road…

Student haunts Carlito’s and Ate Days have both received ZERO in a recent food inspection.

The popular student take-out and cafe have been forced to clean up their act as their eateries are deemed a severe risk to food hygiene.

Health officers can fail inspections if a restaurant has cockroach or mice infestations, or because of poor storage of food and cross-contamination.

For an establishment to receive ‘zero’, officers claim they are performing poorly in all three of the categories they investigate, which are:

• How hygienically food is prepared, stored, cooked, re-heated and cooled
  • The cleanliness, layout, ventilation and lighting of the building
  • How the business manages what it does to ensure food is safe

There’s nothing better than a chicken burger after a sesh… just perhaps not from Carlito’s

A Liverpool Council spokesperson said there is no reason these establishments should not be aiming to get a five star rating. He said: “A five rating includes all of the obvious hygiene precautions and is basically complying with the law.

“For a rating of zero there could be a lack of management or a problem with pest control such as cockroaches and mice. Or it could involve cross-contamination of cooked and uncooked food.

“When a zero rating is given we look at legal action and closures.”

The Tab has tried contacting Ate Days a Week and Carlito’s Pizza for a comment, but have been unable to get through.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.