JMU student deported after bomb plot

A LJMU student with al-Qaeda contacts has been banned from the UK – forever

A JMU student has been permanently exiled from the country, with the government claiming he had Al Qaeda links and that he was planning a “mass casualty attack plot”.

The Secretary of State claimed that he had emails involving instructions on what ingredients were required for production of various explosives, as well as shocking plans about how and where his attack would happen.

He was also believed to have the contact details of an account ran by an “Al Qaeda associate”.

The man, Abdul Wahab Khan, was originally arrested in 2009 at JMU when police raided the university to detain him but was later released without charge. Since then he has gone through several court appearances, with him being denied access to some of the evidence being used against him.

He then left the country voluntarily to go to Pakistan, where he was under surveillance.

At his recent attempt to return he was told that he was not welcome in the UK as “his presence would not be conducive to the public good for reasons of national security”.

The decision has been upheld by the European Court of Human Rights, meaning that there is no higher body to which he can appeal and making the ruling final.

Mr Khan’s lawyer said that he had no intention of returning to the country anyway, but he did take issue with the unfairness of the secret hearing proceedure (learn more about the procedure).

Other members of the group that did not leave the country have not been deported.