Varsity: UoL host this year’s competition

Who will take the glory in the most intense sporting competition of the year?

jmu john moores university sport university of liverpool UoL Varsity wyncote

Liverpool’s two biggest universities, UoL and JMU, will battle it out on Wednesday to win this year’s Varsity.

UoL are out for revenge after JMU’s resounding 70:50 home win last year. Some encouraging Christie Cup results can give UoL confidence going into the most important day on the sporting calendar.

The battle for Liverpool

This year the universities have gone all out on promoting the event with a professional video in an effort to increase the buzz around Varsity.

The video features sportsmen and women from both universities rampaging around Liverpool in a battle to take the city for its own.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3503BG3wuE[/youtube]

UoL’s AU president, Matthew Ward, welcoms the new hype around Varsity.  He said: “A rejuvenated Varsity is exactly what students in this city need. Well promoted events will not only increase awareness of university sport and its high standard but will also help reignite the pride and loyalty students feel to their respective University.”

Matt is also hopeful about our chances, despite JMU’s historic dominance.  He said: “with the new found pride and passion we are looking to take home the brand new trophy.”

The brand new Varsity trophy

The main fixtures kick off at 1.30pm on Wednesday at Wyncote with the headline mens’ rugby game kicking off at 3.30. A big turnout from students of both unis is expected this year, with over 1000 students expected at Wyncote to cheer their uni on.

UoL rugby are looking forward to their headline fixture. After their impressive victory at BUCs, the team have every reason to be optimistic.

As JMU seek to retain the trophy and UoL look to steal it, this year’s Varsity promises to be as competitive as ever. So get yourselves down to Wyncote on Wednesday afternoon to see the action unfold.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.