Christ alive! Liverpool lose Christie Cup

Liverpool came last in this year’s Christie Cup, having not won it for over 20 years. Not surprisingly, Leeds came first.

It’s that time of the year where our heads are turned to our leading sportsmen and women to lead us into the Battle of the North. Despite 23 years of hurt at the hands of Manchester and Leeds every year we tell ourselves “this time its ours”.

Well basically we came bottom, again.

But that doesn’t negate the impressive achievements of many of our teams. Here are some of the highlights of Wednesday’s action.

Football

The Men’s 2nds did the Uni proud beating Leeds 2-1 and humiliating Manchester with a 5-0 win to join the select few teams who can call themselves Christie cup winners.

Victory bus

Meanwhile the Men’s firsts – which was a mix of first and second years – did themselves proud with a 2nd place finish while the women’s teams came 2nd and 3rd respectively.

LUWFC had a strong squad for the Christie cup

Rugby League

One of the best teams on campus didn’t disappoint. The rugger buggers drew 14-14 with a good Leeds team before thrashing Manchester 68-0 to be Christie Cup champions for the 6th time in 7 years. Captain George Harvey was “over the moon with the result” and the team is now “pumped” for Varsity next week.

Liverpool’s sporting elite…

Rugby Union

Not to be outdone the Rugby Union 1st team also came first, particularly impressive considering their team was full of second and first years to help them develop.

The victorious 1sts

Basketball

The basketball team gave a strong account of themselves to come second – which considering they only narrowly avoided relegation a fortnight ago is really impressive!

Our boys up against Leeds

Volleyball

The Men’s volleyball team were an improvement on last year simply because they existed! Last year Liverpool relied on a makeshift team of hockey players. This time round the team gave a good account of themselves to finish second.

The women’s team also came second after beating Manchester but losing to Leeds who came first.

Water polo

The Water polo men’s team did fantastically well to beat Leeds and Manchester into second place to join the small elite of Liverpool teams with Christie winners’ medals. The women’s team came a respectable second.

President Sam Anderson was delighted with the performance of both teams.  He said it was “a great performance from everyone which deserves a big celebration.”

A very clear photo of a water polo match – I think

Hockey

The Men’s 1st team pulled it out the bag this year coming top of the pile after a mixed season.

Fencing

Fencing also pulled a blinder in the Christie Cup. The Men’s team managed to poke Leeds and Manchester more times than than they were poked and as such claimed a Christie Cup winner’s medal.
The women’s team came second.

Competitive poking

Swimming

A disappointing result for fans of Liverpool’s abs, the swimming team came third this year but social sec Lucy Urbas thinks the team can be happy with their efforts.  She said “we gave it a good fight.”

Top action shot

Lacrosse

Lacrosse Men continued their strong season with their second Christie Cup victory in a row to cement their place as one of the most successful clubs on campus.

Christie champions

So while we may have finished last overall but there’s no reason to be downbeat. Some impressive performances can give us hope for the more important rivalry coming up next week – Varsity.
At the end of the day there’s always next year.

They’ll be ours one day

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.