The Tab meets lacrosse

The Tab went to meet the Lacrosse men’s team find out what makes them so succsessful.

Lacrosse as a club is one of the most successful sport teams at Liverpool Uni. The men’s team were unbeaten in all competitions last year so The Tab went to their training to find the secret of their success.

Men’s team photo

Last year ‘the invincibles’ were absolutely dominant, winning not just their league but also BUCS and Christie as well- despite only training once a week and playing teams such as Lancaster who train three times a week.

As club vice-president Jimmy Cook joked: “it was nice to get the Uni some BUCS points which not many teams do.”

With this ringing endorsement we thought The Tab should test their skills with a crossbar challenge.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db6jW4NCaIU[/youtube]

Two hits is fairly impressive to be fair.

After last year’s promotion they’re holding steady in 4th place. However they can take confidence from being champions of the North-West after beating Leeds and Manchester. They even played against a USA national team and only lost 12-14 which just shows talented the team is.

The game looked pretty physical to The Tab, with Cook describing it as “basically like Ice Hockey in the air.”

The picture below doesn’t do justice to the bruise this player picked up in training. While our worst injuries article shows how bad it can get in a real match!

pffft just a flesh wound

Some have been put off lacrosse due to the prohibitively high cost for all the gear, so the Lacrosse team got sponsors such as Rooms4u to pitch in for new equipment for freshers next season.

Lucky freshers now have no excuse not to sign up next year

Most players got into it at Uni inspired by American Pie.  Cook said: “I saw Stifler and the Oz playing it and thought I’ll try that at Uni.”

But players such as captain Matt Collier have played from a young age. Matt has also represented England Under-19s at the World Lacrosse Champions in the past and is one of the team’s stars.

Liverpool Lacrosse even won the inaugural Mixed Lacrosse tournament recently proving the depth of talent across both men’s and women’s teams.

Liverpool’s champion mixed team

Lacrosse seem to have a great social side and have been on tour to Salou for the last two years – where apparently “people change – some for the better, some for the worse.”

Lacrosse men do their best Baywatch impression

Lacrosse also have a big showing at AU nights where the large size of the club comes in handy.

Strong showing at an AU last year

From an outsider’s perspective, lacrosse definitely seemed like a great sport to take up – as long as you don’t mind getting smacked with a bloody big stick!

Catching their breath after training

Do you want The Tab to do a piece on your team? Email [email protected].