Tab vs. Food: Calzone challenge

Video: Watch us try and scoff a whole 5lbs of calzone in under an hour

amalia calzone food challenge liverpool tab tv

Scroll down for video.

Andrew Griffiths and Joseph Rassam attempted to eat 5lbs of calzone in under an hour. Here is what went down.

The Calzone Challenge at Amalia, just off Duke Street, consists of a supersized calzone weighing 5lbs that is stuffed to the brim with minced meat, vegetables, tomato sauce and cheese. 

Over 1400 hopeful hunger monkeys in search of food glory have attempted the challenge but only 52 have succeeded. With the winner getting a free t-shirt and not having to pay for the calzone, me and Joe were determined to finish the challenge.

The t-shirt of champions

Some of the previous winners include Pepe Reina’s brother, an Alaskan eskimo and professional eater, Randy “record-breaking” Santel who set the record for the fastest time taken to complete the challenge by polishing off the enormous calzone in 13 minutes and 32 seconds. Needless to say, I was desperate to stake my claim to a place alongside such distinguished food gladiators.

The wall of calzone fame

This task, the only one of its kind in England, required stern preparation. For me, this meant not eating anything for an entire 24 hours before to help me work up a super-human appetite. I also read up on the techniques used by professional eaters in attempt to formulate a plan to tackle the gargantuan calzone.

But none of this could prepare me for the enormity of the meal itself.

It looks so appetising!

See for yourself how the calzone challenge went down in the video below and if you think that you can do better than me then why not pay Amalia a little visit and try the challenge for yourself?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-5JQnDeAE[/youtube]

Or if you don’t think you can hack the calzone challenge then why not check out Amalia’s delicious, authentic Italian meals instead. With a warm and welcoming owner, some of the best Italian dishes in Liverpool and comfortable décor it is well worth the visit.

Video by Andrew Griffiths, Joseph Rassam and Cristina Criddle