UoL fat cat announces his retirement

UoL Vice Chancellor, Sir Howard Newby, announces his retirement after it emerged he earns more than the Prime Minister.

| UPDATED newby retires pay cuts retire Sir Howard Newby university of liverpool

UoL fat cat Sir Howard Newby has announced he will step down from his position as Vice Chancellor.

The 66-year-old chief, who has recently been under fire for his outlandish salary whilst many staff members face harsh pay cuts, will leave his position in 2015.

UoL VC Sir Howard Newby

Newby’s exact date of retirment will depend on the appointment of his successor, according to the President of the University Council, David McDonnell.

McDonnell informed staff of the decision earlier this week via email.

It read:  “As provided by the University’s Statutes and Ordinances, a Joint Committee of Council and Senate will now be established to oversee the recruitment of our next Vice-Chancellor.

“As part of this process, staff will be given the opportunity to share their views on opportunities and potential areas of development for the University over the next 10 years, and how these should inform the selection of the next Vice-Chancellor. We will be in touch shortly with further details of how you can contribute in this way, and will keep you informed of progress.”

Newby, who was appointed to the position in 2008, has recently been criticised for accepting a pay rise of 9.8% between 2011/2012 and 2012/2013, meaning he earns more than the Prime Minister.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.