The perfect Valentine’s Day

Ah love… L.O.V.E, love. The day has arrived that truly epitomises true love and here is our guide to the perfect way to execute it.

In the words of every girl’s heroine Bridget Jones, “Valentine’s Day is purely a commercial, cynical enterprise anyway. A matter of supreme indifference.” Is she right? Has Valentine’s day turned into a day of material superficiality in order to express affection?

Maybe so! Therefore why not ditch the prezzies and focus on just spending quality time with your ever faithful this year.

Recreate a scene from a romantic movie

Sefton on one of its finer days

Get involved in the perfect romance that is depicted on our TV screens, we mean really get involved. Utilise role play to really spice up your Valentine’s Day and recreate those defining moments from the world’s greatest romance stories.

EVERYONE knows ‘The Notebook’ expresses and articulates true love like no other movie. As a Liverpool resident, you have all the crucial tools to recreate that perfect moment: rowing a small boat in a lake, surrounded by white swans and embracing nature’s cleansing rainfall.

Head to Sefton Park, get involved with the fine scenery and large pond filled with beautiful (although slightly cagey) swans swarming around you and your loved one. Relish in February’s downfall of rain to really dramatise the extent of your passionate love. Noah and Allie eat your hearts out.

Albert Dock Fun

Ah romance galore

When the sun goes down head down to the ever-famous Albert Dock and see Liverpool in its finest attire. You don’t need to spend any money on fancy cocktails and expensive gourmet meals when you have each other!

Just wander the docks soaking in the culture and the history, spend some time over looking the Mersey; the home of the Titanic, founder of the greatest love story. Channel that Jack and Rose love.

Then liven things up by falling into the role of Mary Poppins and Bert and ride the mini carousel throwing your arms in the air in a fit of romantic ecstasy. Is this not the perfect Valentine’s destination?

Croon in the Cavern

What better way to express your love than through song?

Step into the shoes of Britain’s biggest heart throbs and, boys, take your gal to the Cavern and thoroughly serenade her. What is more romantic than having your fella’ show his affection through drunken karaoke and reassuring you that ALL you need is love?!

The perfect way to show everyone that your love hath no limits, it is immortal in the lasting lyrics of the Beatles. What a lucky girl you have! But saying that, ladies there is nothing stopping you taking the microphone and giving a good twist and shout to reciprocate your affection.

We are truly spoilt for choice when it comes to perfecting Valentine’s Day in Liverpool. City of Culture? Na-ah… city of lurrrrve.

We don’t need no diamonds or rubies to have the perfect Valentine’s Day, it’s all about creating stories to tell the grandchildren!

Want to write for our Features section? Join our Facebook group.