Dos and don’ts of Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s day is a bitch to organise, make sure you don’t mess it up with The Tab’s simple guide on how to (and how not to) woo this V-Day.

gifts presents valentine's day

Valentine’s Day is approaching and if you haven’t done so already, it’s time to start thinking about what to do for that special someone.

It’s important to get this right.  You need to show you are affectionate and care, but not too much else you enter the bright coloured realms of cheese land. So here are three simple dos and don’ts of what to do on Valentine’s Day.

Perfect dates for…

#1 The Super Romantics

A trip up the Anglican Cathedral Tower at twilight.

If period romance novels have taught us anything, it’s that the true romantics never have any money. Therefore this is an impressive and inexpensive experience, costing only £4 each for students.

It is a hidden gem where after a long walk up the stairs, there are spectacular views of Liverpool that will make for many beautiful pictures and memories.

#2 The Animal Enthusiasts

A trip to Chester Zoo.

Chester Zoo is a less mainstream and more fun date out for Valentine’s Day, with many exciting activities to take part in: animal feeds, mini golf, and even face painting!

There are animals from all around the world, which you can meander through slowly hand in hand. Through the Chinese gardens, listening to the squawking of the flamingos in the distance, or you may prefer to see the animals from above in the thrilling overhead monorail. Either way, you will be guaranteed an amazing time.

Chester is only 45 minutes from Liverpool, and buying a combination ticket from Lime Street (which includes train and bus fare, plus the zoo ticket) for only £20 it isn’t that expensive for such a fun and memorable day out. 

#3 The All Out Show Stoppers

Dinner at Circo.

Swanky restaurant = standard

The more traditional option for Valentine’s Day is to take your other half out for dinner. However, dinner this Valentine’s Day at Circo has an exciting twist.

This weekend it is the Valentine’s Vengeance Freakshow – you will witness their dinner show and be dined in 1770’s theme, and with the residenct DJ Mark Armstrong in the bar all night, it tells for an incredible evening. It is on the more expensive side.  It will set you a little out of pocket at £49.95 for three courses plus chocolate truffles and a glass of fizz, with the circus performances taking place throughout the night.

What not to do this Valentine’s day…

#1 The Ultimate Cringe

A tattoo of your “soul-mate’s” name.

Do not think going into your local tattoo shop this Valentine’s Day and getting a tattoo of your current partner’s name is a beautiful romantic gesture. It’s not.

The cringey act of having someone’s name prenatally tattooed onto your flesh in the name of love screams non-originality and stupidity. No doubt next V-Day you will spend the evening explaining to your new partner who the tattoo is actually named after. Save yourself the pain and bother and do something more sensible this Valentine’s Day, something you wont regret for the rest of your life.

#2 The Cliché

Flowers and Chocolate.

Don’t be the guy who completely forgets the importance of the 14th February and has to make a last minute dash to Tesco to buy those horrific heart boxed chocolates or half dead roses. It is too sickeningly sweet and there is nothing worse than watching the flowers slowly die and turn brown in front of you that very same evening.

It is almost a metaphor for the incoming end to your relationship by the unimpressed recipient who can see the lack of personality and interest in the gifts. So be more imaginative and prepare something more personal to show your boyfriend/ girlfriend how much they mean to you.

#3 The Lazy Bum

Doing nothing at all.

Whether you totally forgot or are too busy, the worst thing to do is have nothing for your partner on Valentine’s Day. Even if it is something very small, the least romantic thing to do is to be left eating a greasy take away and watching Eastenders on our hideous student sofas.

Want to write for our Features section? Join our Facebook group.