Staff to strike again over pay row

There are two planned strikes in the coming week as staff are still disgruntled over pay.

higher education pay industrial action pay cuts Sir Howard Newby strike UCU UNISON UNITE university of liverpool

Students will once again suffer at the hands of the unions as staff plan yet ANOTHER strike in the ongoing pay row.

Thursday, February 6 will see three unions, UCU, UNITE and UNISON take further action as staff plan another walk out.

This strike is in addition to a two hour stike planned for Monday, February 10 by UCU.

Lectures have already been rescheduled as the university attempts to minimise the damage caused to students.

This is not the first time students have faced disruption this term: industrial action organised by UCU went ahead during the exam period.

They striked over a series of days for two hours at a time.  Unfortunately for some, exams were undisrupted by these strikes.

That’s not to mention the havoc caused last year as thousands of members of staff walked out across the country in anger over higher education pay.

The news comes as it emerges the University of Liverpool Vice Chancellor, Sir Howard Newby, earns more than the Prime Minister- a whopping £360,000 a year- whilst staff at the university face harsh pay cuts.

Staff have also been discouraged from accepting a 1% pay rise, as unions announce this will mean accepting a real terms 13% pay cut since 2009.

UCU official, Martyn Moss, has slammed the rises, saying: “Far too many vice-chancellors are happy to line their own pockets while driving down staff pay.”

Want to write for our News section? Join our Facebook group.